- Rag Dolls and How to Make Them edited by Dorothea Hall - The pattern I used for Abigail's doll is the "pocket doll" that can also be made into a bunny, a mermaid and an angel. It's a simple pattern that is shown full size in the book. There's a pattern for an upside down doll with two faces. You flip the dress and it's a different character. It reminds me of one I had when I was little. There are several old fashioned dolls that can be easily modified.
- Felt Wee Folk: Enchanting Projects by Salley Mavor - How to make small, flexible dolls for nature tables and dollhouses. Some ideas are simple and some are more complex.
- Sewing Tiny Toys by Carolyn Vosburg Hall - Contains patterns for beanie baby type toys. A lot of really cute ideas.
- Adorable Sock Dolls to Make and Love by Connie Stone and Emola Lowe - Good instructions. Mostly animals - love the cow and giraffe. There are also cute Santa and witch dolls.
- Bean Bag Buddies by Nikki Wheeler - More beanie baby toys.
- Sock Doll Workshop: 30 Beautiful Dolls to Create and Cherish by Cindy Crandall-Frazier - Includes a baby doll pattern using three socks. I really want to try that pattern.
- Country Dolls by Better Homes and Gardens - Includes prairie dolls and Indian dolls that remind me of dolls my grandma made. There are also patterns for dollhouse dolls from 2 inches to 6 1/2 inches.
- Cherished Dolls to Make for Fun by Better Homes and Gardens - Lots of great doll patterns. I especially like the baby doll embroidered with wishes and signitures from loved ones and a country rag doll design.
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Books for Making Dolls
I just checked out (again) from the library the book Rag Dolls and How to Make Them edited by Dorothea Hall where I got the pattern for Abigail's doll. I was so excited that it wasn't destroyed in the recent flood. I thought I'd share some of the books I've found for doll and toy making in the past year.
Some of these books are still in print, but it looks like they can all be ordered used from amazon. I know there are a lot of new doll and softie books, but I haven't been able to find them at my libary and I doubt they'll get them anytime soon. I just thought I'd share my list with you so you can check your local library if you're so inclined. Enjoy!