- My hair - I like the color of my hair - brown with flecks of red - even though I didn't like it when I was little. I like that my hair is thick and fine. It doesn't style easily, but as thick as my hair is, that's not a big deal usually.
- My fingernails - I like that my nails are rounded on top instead of straight across. I like that they grow fairly easily, and have a nice shape.
- My toenails - I like that my toes are nicely shaped and that my toenails look pretty good when they are painted. I love painting my toenails. I love to wear open-toed shoes so I can see them. I love colored toenails and toenails with a French pedicure. Speaking of, it would be nice to have one of those soon.
- My eyes - My eyes are dark brown. I like the way I can see lots of different colors in brown when I look at my eyes.
- My feet - Going along with the toenail thing, I think I have nice feet. They are a nice shape and I don't mind wearing sandals and having them visible. I actually love wearing sandals.
- That I look younger than I am - I really hated this when I was a teenager (what seventeen year old wants to be mistaken for twelve? and yes, I was), but I'm glad now.
- My legs - I'm pretty short, but I have nice legs.
- My voice - I won't win American Idol (even if I wasn't past the age limit), but I think my voice is decent. I love to sing, and I can carry a tune. Singing makes me happy.
- The minimal scarring on my face - I had a few moles removed from my face almost 3 years ago and again this past December. I waited a long time to get it done because I was afraid of the scarring, but there is hardly any scarring at all, and I'm SO extra glad to have the mole gone. I just wish I'd done it sooner.
- Ok, I'm gonna say it: My breasts - I was excited when they, ahem, increased, when my baby was born, but the more impressive thing for me was that they nourished and grew and a baby for six months exclusively, and long past that. I had so many people tell me when I was pregnant not to get my heart set on breastfeeding because not everyone can do it and it's hard. And it was hard, but I was able to find help and trusted in my body. Please understand, I say this not to minimize anyone else's experiences, but this was a wonderful experience for me.
Friday, March 19, 2010
Loving Myself - Ten Things I Love About My Body
Cheri at Scrap Dreams issued a double dog dare yesterday for her bloggy friends to join her in listing 10 things we love about our bodies. She's reading Simple Abundance a book I love and haven't read in years. I actually had planned to pick it up again this year, but I got distracted. Anyway, I thought I would see if I could list ten things I love about my body too. Even thought there are still things I could complain about, I'm not going to include the complaints. That is NOT the point of this exercise.
I can not tell you how hard this was to list all of these things and not give caveats like "when I'm skinnier" or "if I'm wearing make-up." The whole point of the exercise is acceptance (I think), so even though some of you may be thinking "Her legs? Who is she kidding?," I chose not to subject myself to the second-guessing.
So, now I triple dog dare you to come up with two or three things you love about your body. You can comment below, or write your own post (please link back or tell me in the comments so I know). If you choose to do your own, see if you can make it all the way to ten.